Dosh Dosh was talking about the best way or method for delivering great content to her audience. She maintains that she just shares her honest opinions about what she writes about. Getting people to convert to customers is something that provokes a lot of noise on the blogasphere. I guarantee you though that 90% of websites don’t have a good handle on their conversion ratios and a strategy in place to improve their numbers.
So, in this post I’ll go through common strategies for getting more people to become your customers as a result of visiting your website.
The most common mistake of having a really low conversion rate is getting the wrong people to view your website. This may be as a result of using the wrong keywords on your website, or not understanding what your customers are really looking for. But lets assume for the purpose of this example that someone arrives at your website and that they are both are in the market for your products/services and you are offering them what they actually want. There is still no guarantee they they will convert!
So what is the first obstacle that you need to overcome if someone is to convert from a visitor to a lead, i.e. they have contacted you in some way or signed up for a newsletter or downloaded an article.
The first obstacle you need to overcome is credibility. Is you website credible? They may be a subjective thing but if you don’t appear credible immediately you’ve probably lost the sale. What makes a website credible? Simple things in my opinion (in no particular order):
- Clean design
- Black text against a white background
- Little or no obvious advertising
- No pop ups
- A clear message on the homepage as to what your value proposition is
- Clear navigation
After landing on your homepage, a visitor will typically make up their minds in less than 10 seconds. If they are not impressed the most popular button on the browser is hot – THE BACK BUTTON and you are HISTORY!
Assuming the visitor thinks they have landed on a credible website and they find the product or service they are interested in. What next? Well now you have to come across as being trust worthy.
The second obstacle you need to overcome is – are you trustworthy?
How do you build trust into your website?
- Put a video of the owner on the website – instantly build trust and credibility. Doesn’t have to be the owner, it could be any employee. Point is that visitors see real people behind the website.
- Member affiliations – Do you belong to the local Chamber of Commerce, the national association of your profession, member of BNI, whatever! Again show you have real world connections.
- Contact Us Page – Why should visitors contact you? Remind them on the contact page and give them an indication of when they can expect a response.
- Testimonials – Very important that they are spread across your website and that they are relevant for each page. Have a link if possible to the testimonial.
- Add a picture of your premises on your About Us page
- Show visitors when your website was last updated
- Don’t use overly promotional words in the writing style of your website. Try to be clear, direct and sincere.
- And finally, One big thing, ask your customers what elements they found as adding credibility to your website and emphasise this element.
What do you think helps to convert more visitors to customers on your website?
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.